Saturday, November 26, 2011

Island Life........ yep, it's slow!

We've been on the island of St. Croix for nearly a month now. There has been so much to write about, but school has really kept me from doing the things I really want. So thankful I only have 3 weeks left!!! I'll be able to keep up my blog much better after that!
We have gotten settled in. Boy oh, what a culture shock it was when we first arrived. Our condo was not what it was advertised to be, things are really expensive. Day to day living here is really difficult... and it's HOT! Well, more so humid than hot. It's 85 every day, and 75 at night. It really never changes. The biggest variable is whether the sun is beating down on you or not. Work is horrible. I have never seen such complete lack of structure in a facility. There is no accountablility, and no drive to make things better. The ED is basically an admission overflow unit. We hold patients for days on end, and are expected to also take care of the ED patients. Its pretty pathetic.
All that being said, the island itself is amazing. We live in a tropical paradise. There are no big fancy resturants, no big hotels blocking the view of the ocean. All the beaches are free access to everyone...... and no one is ever on the beaches! Funny huh?! Well, that is exactly how I love it. No frills, just simple beauty and God's perfect scenery. (Well, I do miss good coffee!)
The kids are loving it in St. Croix. They have become my little water babies. They are in the pool or ocean every day!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment